OpenERP Installation Guide
Using this blog you will be able to install the complete package of OpenERP thanks to my colleague Anup Chavda. (http://anupdchavda.blogspot.com/)
You can use the GTK client and also the Web client as well.
Installing OpenERP on Linux
- Install all the python packages in the system. You can have the following packages installed manually by running all the commands manually on the terminal.
- sudo apt-get install python-matplotlib
- sudo apt-get install python2.6-pyparsing
- sudo apt-get install python2.6-imaging
- sudo apt-get install python-psycopg2
- sudo apt-get install python-libxslt1
- sudo apt-get install python-libxml2
- sudo apt-get install graphviz
- sudo apt-get install postgresql-8.4
- sudo apt-get install pgadmin3
- sudo apt-get install python-lxml
- sudo apt-get install mx44
- sudo apt-get install python-reportlab
- sudo apt-get install python-pychart
- sudo apt-get install python-tz
- sudo apt-get install python-openssl
- sudo apt-get install python-hippocanvas
- sudo apt-get install python-yaml
- sudo apt-get install python-pydot
- sudo apt-get install python-setuptools
- sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
- sudo apt-get install bzr2. Create a user of the sane name as your system user in the postgres database and rename the password with your desired password as you would need it to use it with the pgadmin Postgres graphincal interface.
You can see the steps on the screen of the terminal as shown below.
- $sudo su postgres
- $createuser -d -S -R
- # alter user
3. Configure Pgadmin(Postgres GUI) to have the details of the tables for database created from OpenERP. Below picture shows the configuration for the postgres server in pgadmin.
This is the view of pgadmin3 after the configuration of server. It will display all the databases and related information for postgres.4. Register yourself with Launchpad. Using the link https://launchpad.netYou can also use the link https://login.launchpad.net/Rgtn6TB32vss2cJQ/+new_account to create a new account on launchpad.After Creating a new account you can view your profile by clicking your name from anypage and you'll be redirected to your profile. The profile would be as shown below.
5. Create an SSH key for your launchpad account from your system. You can create the SSH key with the help of the link https://help.launchpad.net/YourAccount/CreatingAnSSHKeyPairYou would be able to see the whole process to create an SSH key on this link. According to the link create an ssh key following the given steps. Do not give any filename to the ssh key file when asked just press “Enter”. If you want to secure it you can use a password otherwise you can keep that also blank. The view of the help is displayed below. It consists of the following steps.A. Install Open-SSH Client using the command,$ sudo apt-get install openssh-clientB. Generate and SSH key pair(Public-Private).$ ssh-keygen -t rsaYou can see the procedure to create an ssh key shown in the image below.
The image shown below displays the public key.D. Now you have to copy the contents and copy it in the launchpad to your ssh key and import the public key.
You can use the following steps to download a branch in your system from launchpad.OpenERP is available in many versions. 5.0, 6.0 and trunk(In development soon to be released as 6.1)There are mainly 5 parts of OpenERP.
For example to download the server go to https://code.launchpad.net/openobject-server and you'll have all the versions listed as shown below.
- Server (Application Server)
- GTK Client (Desktop Client/Thick Client)
- Web Client(It includes Web Server as well)
- Addons (The Certified Modules of OpenERP)
- extra-addons (Uncertified Modules of OpenERP/Community Modules)
Now as mentioned in the link if you want to download this branch(source code) you have to use the command 'bzr branch lp:openobject-server' on the terminal.This will create a folder of the name openobject-server in the pwd. So if you want to rename the folder other then openobject-server you can have an alias by giving the following command.“ $ bzr branch lp:openobject-server server “ this will create a folder of the name addons in the pwd.Same way you can download clients and addons from the links as listed below.GTK Client : https://code.launchpad.net/openobject-clientWeb Client : https://code.launchpad.net/openobject-client-webAddons & Extra Addons : https://code.launchpad.net/openobject-addonsThe clients server or addons may or may not work with the different versions. It is advisbale to use the same family(version) to work with stability.It is possible to have all the versions downloaded and used on linux. You have to follow the below given steps.A. Create a directory called workspace/OpenERP in your home folder. Inside that folder create the directories for the versions. For e.g. Stable-5.0,Stable-6.0, trunk etc.B. Go to the specific directory say for e.g. In Stable-5.0 and now download the source code(branch) in the specific directory.It's not mandatory to download all the parts. Server is must to run OpenERP. You can use either of the client and you can use only addons ommitting the extra addons.Once everything is downloaded. You can start with OpenERP as shown below.
3. Go to the GTK client using the command “cd client/bin4. Run the GTK cllient using the command “./openerp-client.py”.
- Go to server/bin using the command “cd server/bin”.
- Run the server using the command “./openerp-server.py –addons ../../addons”.When you run the server you need to give the path to your addons folder becuase the modules are fetched from the addons path specified. If it is not specified no modules will belisted other than base module in OpenERP.
Now to use the OpenERP You'll have to create a new database as shown in the below image.For Creating a database go to File-->Database--> New DatabaseCreate a database entering the name of the database and the password they you need to keep for your admin user. By default the super admin password is 'admin' and the default user created would be 'admin' which will be having administrator rights.
Once you click ok you'll get a new popup wizard asking for configuration. You can directly use it or you can configure the OpenERP. Click on Start Configuration.
You'll get one more wizard asking for interface. You can choose either simple interface or extended interface according to that you'll be having the functionalities. Select Extended View so that you would be able to see all the functionalities.
The next window that will appear will be of Company Configuration where you can configure all the details of your company.Then next popup window will be containing list of modules of OpenERP. You can select the modules that you require to install. Select the checkbox on the module(feature) you want to have and then click install.As Accounting is installed it will also ask for chart of accounts that should be installed for the particular company. Chart of Accounts are very important entity for any company. In OpenERP Once chart of accounts are installed you can not change them. So before installing make sure which chart of accounts you want to install. Here you also need to configure the fiscal year and the periods in the fiscal year. Make sure you keep the fiscal year as per your financial year as that can also not be reconfigured. You can also not create a fiscal year that are overlapping. And periods should be created either monthly or quarterly(in the session of 3 months).
Once all the other configurations that are related to the installed module is done you will get the main view of OpenERP as shown below.
- Similarly you can run the webclient.For running the webclient first of all you'll have to install some more packages that are used by the webclient.
Once all the packages are installed go to web-client. And run the webclient. Using the command “ ./openerp-web.py” as shown in the image below and the web-server would start.
- Go to web-client/lib
- Install the file populate.sh using the command “./populate.sh”
Now go to the browser and open the link “localhost:80880” and it will open the following view.
Once you've logged in you'll see the main screen of the webclient. It is different than the one with GTK as it displays the iconic view of all the modules that are installed. Still the functionality would remain the same.
The web-client is attractive than GTK and it's look & feel is better than GTK. There are few advantages and disadvantages of both the clients. For example the web-client can not print “Print Screen” reports but in GTK you can. You can not see gantt charts on GTK client but you can see them on the webclient. You can use webclient from anywhere without installing it on the machine using any web-browser but to use GTK you'll have to install GTK client on the system.
Now Once the system is installed with your desired applications and you want to ad more application or modules you can also do that.
Once configured if you want to add more modules you can add it using the Administation rights. To install a module you need to follow the below given steps.
1. Go to Administration/Modules/Modules
2. A list of module will be displayed, search for the module name you want to install or select any module from the module list.
3. Click on Schedule for installation and then Click on the wizard shown on the right hand side saying “Apply Scheduled Upgrades”.
4. It will open a popup window having the list of modules to be installed and will ask for confirmation. Click on “Start Update”.
5. Your module will be installed in few minutes once installed the features in the modules will be added in your OpenERP system. Here we have installed project and as you can see a menu for project is added.
Hope this would help!
For more help kindly contact on email@example.com.